15 November, 2011

The Wien experience!

     There I was at the Old Prokop Station waiting for the bus number 3 to show up when I saw there will be 5 buses. 5!!! That is at least 250 people going with us, probably more, because some of them were double-deckers. Anyways, Maja came soon, and Ivana a little bit later and we were on our seats ready for take off! I took some help from Dimigal(anti-vomit pill) and the rest of the trip is a blur. What I do remember is it took forever for us to cross the border, and I can sincerely say I hate customs, border or anything related to it!

    No matter how awful I looked and felt it all went away when we entered Vienna! My first thought was: "I want to live here!". The architecture, the wide streets. It is so much like any other city, but so beautiful. Our first stop was Belvedere which you can see in the picture below. It is actually consisted of two buildings, but we were to lazy to go all the way down to the other building, so we just went around this palace and took a few pictures.

Belvedere
     It is rather fascinating how Vienna has so much nature everywhere you look, though I think it has something to do with its rulers being very involved with Arts and all that jazz. In the picture below you can see small part of the park around Belvedere. I can't put all the pictures, so you will have to go and see just how wonderful it is!!!

A park around Belvedere


     After that, our second stop was in (I think) District 4, where we were taken to see a few buildings of a famous artist whose name I can't remember (of course), but if I ever need it, I will find it in the book about Vienna I bought at one of the shops that sell souvenirs around those buildings.

Masterpiece of Friedensreich Hundertwasser (I googled it)

     Our third stop was the city center where we took a walk down Mariahilferstrasse, where you can find shops, caffes, fast food restaurants, and ... well, that is all you can find there. It wasn't anything too special, but we did see a few brands that we don't have in Serbia. And Starbucks, which is always a joy!

     Our forth stop was the hotel. They gave us the key to our room and we had less than 30 minutes to get ready for our fifth stop. Since there were three girls, there was no way we could all take a shower and get ready in time, so we just freshened up, I got myself to look decent and we were off to Danube Tower, our fifth stop of the day!

    If someone ever told me an elevator can go that fast, I wouldn't have believed them! I mean, come on! More than 200 meters in less than 30 seconds? I just had to look up! I saw all the wires and cables that held the elevator! Sooo cool! Made me a bit... not sick, but something in that domain. Anyways, the view from the tower was AMAZING! You can actually see the whole Vienna! And they say that during daylight, when the weather is good, you can see the suburbs of Bratislava! So, the view you can see in the picture below.

The view from Danube Tower
     Amazing right? And the restaurant is turning while you are sitting and enjoying your drink. It is really beautiful. Of course, we had Sahertorte, because we were in Vienna after all. And we had wine. And boy was it strong! But it added up to the experience which was amazing! You can see just how happy I was to be there in my eyes, can't you?

My smize! (disregard the fact that I look like I slept in the bus for more than 10 hours)


Sachertorte and red wine! Nomnom
     Our sixth stop was the city center again, where we took a walk, and had some traditional street sausages! With one slice of dark bread and ketchup! And thought it might sound like I am making fun of the meal, it was delicious, and I loved it! We also went for what the waiter said was Vienna's coffee, but it was nothing like it! It was just regular cappuccino. So he was a fraud. But they have good Sahertorte which we found out cause Ivana took it, again. And so did all of us, the next day. We went home by the trolley, and it took us 30 minutes. Our hotel was nowhere near the city center!

     The next day was long, and a lot of fun! After breakfast we went to the shopping mall near our hotel. We decided to enter only the shops we don't have in Serbia, and so I spent a lot of money, refreshed my wardrobe, and bought my niece and nephew, my sisters and parents some nice clothes! For me too, ofc! And a lot of sweets! Interspar is part of the Spar chain and they are something like Idea in Serbia. I felt like a kid in a toy store. Mostly because I saw all these sweets I want to try. And buy. I just can't buy the whole store, right?

Yap, just like a kid!
     With our wallets almost empty, we headed to the city center and the Museum of Nature and Science (or whatever it is called)! There are no words to describe it, so I will just post pictures for you to see how amazing it is! Everything from dinosaurous' skeletons, stuffed animal and various minerals and gems!

The rock from the Moon!

This is something that was ejected from a volcano in Brasil and its interior is covered  with Amethyst! AMAZING I SAY!

A stuffed sloth

A stuffed dodo bird
(I never saw one before and I was really excited to see it) 

Me! Just joking.
(I took this for my fb profile picture. It is some kind of ancient bird/dino)

Dinosaurous' skeleton

Me in the museum's lobby! It is beautiful, and huge!
(and I like how I look here, so I had to put it here)

     The evening ended with the reason I went to Vienna in the first place, the classical music concert about which you can read here. But before that, and before our Museum visit, we had some fun with the map and saw a bit of the city. Not much, but enough to notice the architecture is amazing. The whole city has and air and atmosphere about it! Like it is a few decades in the past, but still so modern!

A monument of Mr Schiller

Opera House


What do you see in this picture?
a) an interesting, old-fashioned street light
b) a bad picture of a street in Vienna
c) a McDonalds sign?


     Our third and last day of stay in Vienna was amazing, and made me 100% sure I want to come back, and that is the Schönbrunn Palace. It is huge, so beautiful and has so much history that it left me with so many wonderful impressions. It was built in the 18th century by Maria Teresa (who had 16 children, and had a daughter who had 18 children! o.O) The palace has an amazing garden/park that is enormous and so beautiful that it left me breathless! Enough talk, look at the photos cause they will say more than 1000 words!

The wind in my hair ^^

Only a par pf the castle
(We couldn't catch the whole thing with our cameras)

My favorite photo!

Isn't is just breathtaking?


The Thriumphat gate
(or something like that)


A part of the garden
(this looks wonderful in the spring when it starts blooming)

     After this last stop we went home, happy and excited. It was worth the trip, and it enriched me with so much new knowledge and experience in terms of beauty and culture. Something you must see for yourself to understand! I hope you all go and feel the half of what i feel and it will be worth the trip. I will go again, because 3 days is not enough to see and feel everything, but it is enough to want to come again!

     For those of you who already saw all this things, what are your impressions? Do tell :-) And of course comment as much as you like!


2 comments:

  1. Marta, those pictures amazing! Thanks for your posts. I have never seen Vienna before and now I want to. Those palaces looked HUGE!! Hopefully next time you'll be able to spend more time there and maybe not so much touristy stuff but just walk around and check it out on your own. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maja, we had a blast!!!

    Brian, we didn't have enough time, but next time it will be just walking around and having fun, seeing things I didn't, and I really wanted this time :-) And you must come to Europe, and after visiting Belgrade, your next stop must be Vienna!

    ReplyDelete